Wednesday, August 1, 2012

July 31, 2012
WEEK 6 ---So much work, joy, love, faith and moving forward and BECOMING!

 Dearest dearest FAMILY and friends!!!

 I sure love y'all.  Thanks for all the notes/letters/etc.  They mean THE WORLD to me.  I will try and respond to them all today... I know I am really really behind.

So I went on splits this week for half a day so my trainer Sister C could have a training meeting, and one of the sisters I served with is Sister H from Taiwan.... who asked me if I knew an Elder Fisher? Which I happened to, which she said that he served in her home ward when she was still home.  So HI!!! from Sister H! :)  And I feel so so so sorry/glad for all the Mandarin speaking sisters here on Temple Square because they are giving Mandarin tours, LITERALLY ALL the DAY LONG.  It's insanely busy (but in a good way).  We take their information and give them a mandarin Book of Mormon (which we constantly have to order because we give hundreds away every day) and tell them we'll call them.  Which we don't because we cant proselyte in mainland China.  However, we take their information and keep it on hold, for one day when the country opens up.  The work will move insanely fast there.  They are SO prepared and want the gospel!  Pray that all the areas in the world that aren't opened up will be opened- okay everyone?

As for sleep/rest/fatigue...  It's getting better! I have energy, and when I get 8 hours of sleep and really work out for 30min and really follow the white handbook and am obedient, when I'm tired, I just pray and tell Heavenly Father that I have been exactly obedient and that I need energy to be able to function, and BAM. I can stay awake. I might have to read while I'm standing up, but I'm willing to sacrifice.  Sacrifice is what brings forth the blessings of Heaven... which sounds great to me! But honestly I feel a lot better. I've really sunken into the groove and habit of the mission.  I'm great! (I did sleep talk the other day and say in my sleep "So, tell me about the Second Coming"--- the sisters I live with were DYING laughing)

 Speaking of miracles/blessings of Heaven,we have had many of those this week:

Leah, our Jewish friend from last week, has made some amazing progress! (ALL IN 13 DAYS!)  This week we told her about Priesthood blessings for her son and herself.  (Her son is dying from cancer) When we taught about that, which she told us that a coworker already asked her if she wanted one, and who she believes is LDS. We prayed all week that that would be true. I was so nervous!

 Yesterday night, we called her and she told us that her coworker IS LDS and that the coworker and two members of the ward came to their home on Friday night and gave both L, and her son (who has cancer) Priesthood blessings.  

She said that it was an experience like none other. She said that has prayed before many times, but she had never felt that immensity of peace and calming feelings like she felt during the blessing.  She even told us later after Sister C asked an inspired question, that she had felt the presence of her parents and husband, who have passed away, and that she sincerely felt that the impression she witnessed was for her 'to keep on, in this path, that this is good, and that what we're teaching her is right'.  She proceeded to tell us about how her coworker's brother died on his mission when he was 21, and how her coworker told her that he is just preaching the gospel to people on the other side. She told us that she felt that her coworker's brother, or at least someone else, was teaching her husband and her parents in the Spirit World the same things she was learning from us here.  

The only thing holding her back right now is the fact that it has been only 13 days since our first lesson with her, and that she wants to make sure that the immense peaceful and happy feelings actually last and are real, which I can respect. What a neat experience for the Lord to let us be His hands for.  She was my FIRST call I made in the mission field after I was so scared.  Sister C and I said a prayer and then Sister C counted down, 5,4,3,2,1! And then I just did it --- I called Leah, and VOILA!  The Lord blesses us when we are obedient.  He really does fill our mouths with the words to say! The thing she is really praying for this week is whether Jesus is the Christ.  Please pray for her.  I know she will get an answer!

 Another miracle is that Sister C's progressing investigator T from Tennessee got BAPTIZED on Saturday!!! We were praying all week that his son would be able to get work off so he could go to the baptism.  Saturday morning his boss said yes, and T's son was able to be there too!  T is so on fire with the gospel- it is a beautiful sight and he just strengthens me with his enthusiasm and even more inflamed love of our Savior Jesus Christ. He told us that his baptism felt like a chalkboard, all the chalk marks literally being washed away and him feeling like a brand new board again.  What a beautiful analogy.

We've taught so many other people.  It's amazing.  My favorite part is hearing their first uttered prayer. They are so beautiful, full of faith and sincerity. It's amazing.  The work is so hard, but so worth it!

Besides teaching all the time here on Temple Square, I also get to do something pretty cool- talk to members all the time and learn from them and their families.  

I met this amazing family who has a 9 year old boy, 12 and 13 year boys.  They read the book of Mormon every school day all year long every school year, and when they finish they do something as a family to celebrate the end.  They scream the last word "amen" down a roller coaster, or around a huge tree in a national park, or up a water park ride etc. every year. The boys knew their scripture stories, the 9 year old read a verse for us, and they were so spiritually interested, polite, responded to our questions and gave incredible insights.  They glowed with the gospel!  In contrast, while I was working at the Beehive house this weekend, we took a family around who had a 10 year old, 14 and 18 year old.  They were nice, but the kids weren't interested in what we had to say, not responsive to our questions, and just looked pretty bored.  When we asked the family what reading the scriptures has blessed their family, every single child passed the buck, and didn't respond besides shrugging their shoulders.  Then the Father of the family responded "Well I guess that means we should read the scriptures more often.."  I seriously was able to see in the results of members the importance of the little things.  The little things are what converts.  I saw the sacrifice of a family that read a chapter every day with their kids, no matter what their age, and the difference that made as a result.  THE HUGE difference it made. HUGE! My challenge for everyone who reads this (that's what I'm going to do with my future family) is to start now, and not miss a day, reading a chapter with your family every day from the Book of Mormon.  Even if they're really young and cant pronounce or read any of the words and you have to speak it and them repeat it.  IT IS SOOOO IMPORTANT! I was stunned. 

Obedience is essential to us.  Obedience is what changes our hearts, allows us to throw off the natural man, and to find peace and joy and confidence in this life! I love this quote from Elder  Oaks:

 "From such teachings [of the gospel] we conclude that the Final Judgment is not just an evaluation of a sum total of good and evil acts—what we have done. It is an acknowledgment of the final effect of our acts and thoughts—what we have become. It is not enough for anyone just to go through the motions. The commandments, ordinances, and covenants of the gospel are not a list of deposits required to be made in some heavenly account. The gospel of Jesus Christ is a plan that shows us how to become what our Heavenly Father desires us to become."
- Elder Oaks, Conference 2000
-------------------------------

My challenge is for everyone to think how they can be a little more obedient or live the gospel a little more thoroughly today.  What's an aspect of your life that you can change to become more, to become better, and to become a little closer to your potential?  It might be not doing homework on Sunday and just trusting that the Lord will provide.  It might be reading your scriptures daily or writing in your journal more often.  It might be saying more sincere prayers.  Or it might be taking some time to ponder and ask Heavenly Father what you can do to become better, and then just taking 10 minutes of silence and no distractions and see what the spirit tells you. 

 The gospel is true.  This IS His church.  Our God is still a God of miracles! Living the teachings of His gospel will bring happiness, joy, hope and peace into your life.  I know that. I have watched someones' life changed as they have applied it in just the last 13 days.  It's real. It's true, and it can change your life too.  Please pray for my MTC district, L and her son, T and D, and also Sister C to get over the cold she has. 

 Love,

Sister Fisher

No comments:

Post a Comment