Sunday, November 25, 2012


 November 24, 2012
Transfer 4, Week 1: Gobble Gobble!

 Howdy Y'all!!!!

 So, transfers happened and my new comp is from my MTC class of sisters (we were in the MTC at the same time) and her name is Sister C from Indianapolis!!!

She's AWESOME. It's way fun being with her. We're very similar too. She also went to BYU and played the viola in Highschool, and most importantly, she is a missionary as well with the same objectives and desires that I do! Doing the work the best we can!!! (with the Lord's help of course).

 But I will tell you a bit about our Thanksgiving. So we were on the Square until about 1pm and then we all drove (the Square was closed) to a place and had a huge dinner with all the mission presidency, senior couples, and a bunch of their family, and all 180 sister missionaries! It was crazy!

We learned a few line dances, yee-haw all y'all!!! (the Latin sisters and Polynesian sisters were VERY enthusiastic about dancing too.... what you can do when you're in a mission of all women).  We also did some activities to educate us about the meaning of Thanksgiving. And we got to eat dinner with the General Primary President and her husband. We have connections - but she came to dinner with us!! :) It was pretty neat. We watched a movie and cut out snowflakes and it was just a really nice time to kind of refresh and renew us, our first real break in a while. But, it was interesting.... After a few hours, all I really wanted to do was get to work again. That's the thing that makes me happy. We recreate and relax, so we can get back to work. That is where happiness lies. I just started feeling bored and just had a big desire to get back to missionary work again. 

It was interesting because before my mission, that time to veg and relax,  the time to get away from my work and stresses,  were the things that I looked forward to the most. Now, I know that that time isn't what makes happiness. Serving and working with the people around me is what brings joy  - losing ourselves in the concerns and needs of others. Relaxation and recreation are very important though to enable us to be able to get back to work. Progression in all aspects of our life is what brings true satisfaction and joy. Sister C and I were talking about it.  Before our missions we wanted to 'get away' from our troubles and concerns through watching movies, or hanging out with friends, or sleeping or eating, whatever; but now we realize that happiness lies in working through our problems and concerns and stresses. 

I love my mission. I love it so much. I am so grateful for this opportunity and that Heavenly Father let me come and helped me get here. I am the happiest I have ever been in my life, because I am not thinking of myself. I know that that is where happiness lies in. Look at those around you, and think today, "How can I serve them more?"  I'm sure you are already doing so much. Don't do more. Just do it more effectively. How long does one text message that uplifts someone, or an email with an uplifting video, or just a note of gratitude or a simple, "I love you", or including someone and their problems in a prayer take? Not long. 

 Another interesting thing that happened this week was a Chat that we had (on www.Mormon.org , Chat With A Missionary). It was with a member who was wanting to get his name removed from the church. We asked him some questions about why and what happened. He said that he just didn't think it was true or right. We proceeded to ask him and create a sort of check list with him: 
 
We asked him, "When was the last time that you prayed and read the Book of Mormon?"

At first he typed out "not for a long time",(yes we can see what people type before they send it- it's really helpful because then you can see someone's thought process)-  ,  but a second later he erased it and said: "I pray everyday and I really prayed about this choice and I got my answer."

We asked, "Are you keeping the commandments?"

"Yes"

"Do you pay your tithing?"

He responded, "Well I only believe that I should pay it when I want to, not when someone else is telling me to."

Which then Sister Creal responded, "Well... the person telling you to is God."

Which he then made some comment about how this church isn't true and he doesn't believe it anymore. 

Which I responded (sometimes the Spirit just speaks before you recognize what you're saying), "Well it's hard to know if something is true or not, if you don't 100% do it."

He disconnected after that. 

 But that chat really made me think,  Do I 100% do it? Do each of us 100% try it, believe it, love it? 

 I bet that those might get y'all thinking. Love you all. Thanks for the support and examples to me. Happy Thanksgiving. The Lord has blessed all of us with the most important thing of all - the restored gospel that Christ himself started. 

Love,
Sister Fisher

No comments:

Post a Comment