Saturday, January 12, 2013

Saturday, December 29, 2012
Transfer 4: Week 5! Merry Christmas to all!


 So.....I had a double sinus/eye infection this week. I was put out of work for a few days, but was still well enough to call home (had enough of a voice at least!) and stay up for the MADNESS of Christmas at Temple Square with 180 sister missionaries, Santa Claus (He came!-- it was one of the Senior couples but still HILARIOUS- some of the sisters had never seen Santa before and this was their first Christmas coming from non Christian countries). It was a Christmas to remember. We had tons of snow and it was full of gift giving, gift receiving, surprises, a few Christmas movies, laughter, (some sickness for me...) and lots of love from our wonderful Mission Presidency, senior couples and their families all to help us on our first Christmas away from home. Yet in some ways these wonderful sisters and Temple Square have become home. My home away from home. There's no better way to celebrate Christmas than by wearing Christ's name on your badge over your heart.

Long story short, I haven't been on the Square since Christmas night, and this is the first time out of my apartment since our doctor's visit. But I have an angel companion who has been taking care of me because obviously I can't wear my contacts, so I'm blind and pretty stinking weak because my body is really tired so I've been sleeping a ton, and when I can't sleep, I've been reading Jesus the Christ, which is seriously now my favorite book I have ever read. That's a big deal. I love it so much.

Anyway. I'm feeling cheery enough and feel so 100% different being on the antibiotics in the first 5 hours of it than before. Slowly making gradual progress. Don't think I'm well enough to come back to the square after pday but I'll just take it slow. Sister G told me to as well. This is just the time of year of sickness too. Luckily practically all of our investigators we can't contact because they're on vacation or etc. so being sick really was perfect timing. I'm so grateful for Sister C. She even woke up with me a night ago when I couldn't sleep because I was coughing (we got a cough supressant the Dr. recommended as well yesterday) and just talked to me between the inconvenient hours of 3-5AM. 

Honestly, through this whole process what have I learned this week? How much I love being a missionary. And how much it kills me to not be out there doing the work and cooped up inside and not able to bless other people. How much even this morning, I loved and was rejuvenated and so happy to just greet the people passing by, even though my voice isn't very melodious yet ;). There have been times that I can't sleep when I was sick. But there will always be treasured in my mind of my mission the memories of then going in the living room and bringing a pillow out and cuddling up and reading the book, Jesus the Christ. Wow. I have learned so much about Jesus Christ, and learned to love Him and my Heavenly Father and the Holy Ghost even more. Understanding their different but so important roles, and how they testify of each other, and how all of them want our success and Heavenly Father's great master plan of Salvation, of Success, of Joy, of Happiness, the Perfect Plan, is flawless. The only flaw, is our agency. It's our choice. We can follow the formula, so to speak, and follow the Prophets of old and new, and follow Jesus Christ and become everything that we need to become, or we don't. It's our choice. We get exactly what we want. Our choice is the most precious gift the Father gave us of all, and Jesus Christ's whole purpose is to support our choice, to guide to direct, to be the builder of the Architect's great Plan for each one of us to come here and learn, grow, experience, and become more refined and finished. 

 A few interesting things that I have learned from Jesus the Christ about Jesus Christ are these. Jesus Christ was a master of scripture and well read, studied and pondered all things. He learned from all His surroundings and observations from 30 years of reflection before He taught- the lillies of the field, the foxes, the carpenter, the merchant, Pharisee, rich man and poor man, etc. When Satan tempted Him or the Pharisee or Scribe with scripture "it is written", Jesus Christ didn't just come to earth with a remembrance and with perfect omnipotence and knowledge of all, no- He had to study and learn the scriptures and the teachings (including the very words which He, Himself told Prophets like Moses and Abraham) to be able to quote and teach and expound the scriptures. He had the very same veil of forgetfulness that each one of us, the other children of our Heavenly Father, also had. He had the exact same agency that He and the Father so preciously perserved. He could have chosen to do evil, He was capable of it. But He didn't. It says in Jesus the Christ that He grew from "grace to grace" or that He grew from good to even better- but that He too was progressing in life here. He didn't have a perfect understanding of everything that He would do when He surprised the Elders in the Temple when He was only 12 years old- even though He had a very good understanding and inspired questions and comments. He had to prepare for 30 years for His short ministry too. 

 I guess, basically what I'm saying, is that it's okay. It's alright that we're not perfect (or as the Bible Dictionary defines perfect as = finished) yet. Jesus Christ even had to progress according to His age and experiences that He had. However, it's this incredible perfect Plan that I spoke of before that matters. It is that Plan where we receive mercy and justice and are judged according to our understanding at the time of our actions, and that it doesn't matter how far we are along the path but just that we're on the right path. That there is repentance and an atonement that can cover all the unfair things in our whole life, all the things that others do to us, and what choices we make and consequences we chose for ourselves. All things will be made right. Right will win. We must be patient in our progress and not frustrated that we don't understand everything yet or that we still have weaknesses. Our Savior Jesus Christ understood that as well. 

 We must ponder, pray, study and learn and research as well. That is what following Christ's example means right? If He still had to do all of those things- how much more important is it for us to plant the "SEEDS" (Spiritual Experiences Every Day) and weed the "WEEDS" (Worldly experiences every day). 

 Well, anyway, sorry about the ramblings today. Wow do I love this gospel and know that it is true. I know this is the continued revelation and continued teachings of Jesus Christ's church today. It is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know my Redeemer lives and loves me too. I know my Heavenly Father has a plan for my life and it's a perfect plan, better than anything I could have planned for myself, and I know He has one for you too. Onwards and Upwards!

 Love,

Sister Fisher
 
PS (Thank you so much to all for all the letters and packages. They mean a lot to me and my companion and Fijiian & Mongolian roommates! I will slowly get back to you all... I've been sick.. haha) 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment